Monday, February 28, 2011

My New Happy Place!


Oi do Brasil! Last week, I started taking painting lessons at a small art school on Cavaleiros beach with my new friend Becky. I’m not much of an artist, but it is so awesome to learn something new, and I find that the time I spend with a brush in my hand is so relaxing! Sitting in an open courtyard, listening to the ocean, and letting my mind focus on something creative is a pleasure I never knew I was missing. My teacher, Beatriz (Bea) is very helpful and also extremely patient in teaching us rookies how to paint. My classes are every Tuesday morning, and I’ve found myself anxiously awaiting my next lesson for the rest of the week. Once I have learned more of the techniques, I am planning to start painting at home. Gabe took me into Centro to buy all of my supplies, so I feel so official now! No turning back! I am still taking Portuguese lessons twice a week with my friends, Sakshi and Kim, and I really feel that my knowledge has greatly improved. It is such a difficult language for me, but our tutor is great, and I’m finally starting to conquer my fear of speaking.

Carnaval starts on Saturday, and Brazil basically shuts down for a week. We would love to be able to experience Carnaval in Rio, but with Jake being so young, and the crowds being so huge, we’ve decided against it. Instead, we are considering taking a 4-day cruise around the coast and celebrating the festivities on the ship with some friends. I’ve never been on a cruise ship before, and I have a dreadful fear of motion sickness (really hoping I can find some Dramamine if we decide to go), but I’m looking forward to spending some fun time together as a family.

Jake and I are still planning on spending the summer in Texas (woo hoo!), and we are hoping to be home sometime during the beginning of May. I will keep you posted as plans become more definite. I love you and miss you all so much!

Hugs!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you! It really sounds like things are coming together. :) I'm counting down the days until May!

    ReplyDelete